Discussing the hard yards with Masi Matongo
Masi Matongo, 21, has quickly progressed through the Hull FC youth system after Mel Harman spotted him playing for a local team. Masi is described as a "well mannered and popular figure" in the dressing room, with great pace for a front-rower. I was keen to catch up with Masi, who is now in his second year with the first team, to discuss his Grassroots Story and his transition into a Black and Whites first team player.
1. Where did you play your amateur rugby?
"I started playing for Hull Wyke, I was there for 2 years. I then played for West Hull for a summer season before joining Norland Sharks open age team. This is where I was spotted by Hull FC"
2. There are plenty of characters over at Hull FC, but who is the funniest player in the team?
"Has to be Danny Houghton, he is very funny! His one liners always make me laugh!"
3. Who would you say is the teachers pet?
"I have to say Jack Downs on that one! Mainly because he is probably the hardest worker!"
4. Norland Sharks to the Super league, is a big step up, in your opinion, who is the toughest player in the Super League?
"There are a lot of tough players in the Super League, but I would say the toughest is between Gaz Ellis and John Bateman"
5. You've worked hard and you have come through the grassroots system. What do you think makes a player ready to move from amateur to professional?
" I personally think hard work and determination! There are so many good players in the amateur game but some people give up too early to fulfil their potential"